Anita placed in our last Venus Transformation contest and is ecstatic with her results. I had the pleasure of working with this amazing lady and watching her achieve her results.
Here is her essay from the contest:
My journey When I came to America from Belgium after marrying my husband, as an immigrant, I was mistreated an thought lesser by my peers. I ignored the hateful comments though and started my family, and had two kids, they turned out very well, god bless their hearts. Aside from the ridicule I received for being an immigrant, I was met with intolerance for also being hearing impaired.
These people just never understood my predicament, or tried to understand. This always made me so low and ashamed about who I was. I started doing the Venus contest in February of 2015, and I must say it is the best thing I have ever done in my whole life.
I lost weight, gained muscle, and better yet I gained confidence in myself. The journey is not yet over, still many miles to go, but one day I will succeed. One day this emotional roller coaster will come to an end, and I will walk away from it victorious.
Filled with the knowledge of how I turned the negative comments of others, into my strengths to do this challenge. As well as use that strength to change into the woman I am today. Thank you Roberta Saum , for being my strength, and it is thanks to you that I look this amazing. I am 54 going 55 years old, and I’ve never felt this good in my life before, until now.
I had the honor of answering Anita’s questions this last year as she moved along. Most people just need a little confirmation that they are doing the right thing and trusting the process.
Anita is hard of hearing so we could not do an interview, so she wrote this additional story of her journey for you:
I have simply no words what to say about me placing in Venus contest. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. It is amazing how far I came and how proud I am of myself and I dare say so, it was my dream to lose weight.
The highest I weighted was 213 lb and lowest weigh was 135lb. My present weigh is now 145lb give or take, Roberta has taught me that it is okay and normal to fluctuate so much, especially we we are taller.
I would not make it this far without this program and all the support I have from Roberta and her group on Facebook , especially you everyday posting good or bad things like we were mind readers, lol,that why I believed!! We are proof we are never to old to get fit, we might not look like a fitness model but we will feel and look better and stronger everyday, we just glow more confidentially.
Here are my answers the most common questions:
- How did I find Venus? When I was so fed up by being so tired and having joint pains all the time and overweight (now I know why was I so tired, from the extra weight!). I quit smoking to become a healthier me. I decided to go on fitnesspal and put myself in a research mode, then I found Roberta and started following her for about a year before I signed up for Venus contest.
- How did I enjoy the Venus workout? The intensity of the workout, deficit plan with the menu was a plus, work out plan,this is a great program when you first start out.
- Which workout did I do? I used both 12 weeks fat loss and final phase which I did several times.
- What kept me motivated? All the good comments and pictures in the Facebook group Nibbles Fitness by Roberta. I loved seeing all the people working out with that have health issues and working out everyday, just made me see everything in another light, and looking at before and after pictures sure gets my butt in the gym.
- What did I do for my diet? I started eating less and used my little scale to keep track of what I was eating, mostly meat veggies less dairy and over 100 grams of protein, more carbs early in the day not at night. Most of all I needed to eat gluten free for my own health issues.
- How did I change my workouts with Venus? When I started Venus, I did not follow the program as planned. I did less reps and I just worked out in my own tempo until I was stronger and more sure I could do all the work out without any injury. That was so far my way of building up strength. I took my time and 1 year 7 month later I built up more strength. Now I workout everyday and I like cardio, cycling or on the treadmill for 30 + minutes.
- What supplements did I use? I use a Bliss Go pack, Phormula-1 protein, Level-1 protein, Ignition, and Megawatts is the best energy drink. These are the best supplements ever.
- How did my life change? I used to spend so much time reading on the internet all the time and I decided to stop reading and get my butt in the gym! I followed Venus and Nibbles on Facebook and the support is tremendous and it never fails.
- Did I get support from family and friends? My family were supportive but I could tell sometimes the look on their face, how long will this last? Nonetheless, they are proud of me. I had them hide their junk food, lol, and I told them to eat candy at work and not around me at home!
- What was the biggest struggle? The hardest part is the food. I love to cook and I love to eat. So I learned that if I want cheese cake in the evening I simply get it and eat it. I used to panic, but now I have learned that you are not going to get fat overnight. You just can’t do it everyday. Treat yourself once in awhile
- How did I feel when I saw my contest pictures? I was amazed when I saw my pictures! I got so many compliments and that I look so happy. I truly was and still am on cloud nine. I was shocked that at my age 55 I could do this. I think we are a rare breed trying to get over the hill and I love it.
- What is my best advice for you? When I first started, I took little baby steps. Nobody said you have to all the workouts at once. Find your own tempo and work your way up. I did 1 or 2 reps of all the workouts for 1 month. Never give up! Even if you don’t feel like it, go to the gym even (even if it is for 10 min). I have been there and done that, I have a full time job and I found a way to fit it in and I am loving it.
- How did my life change? This program changed my life, I became stronger and more confident. I just glow and wherever I go and people heads are turned, lol, and this is fun!
- Where did I get support? This program shows you how to meet your goal. There is always support on Facebook. You can ask your personal trainer how to do better for yourself, whoever your trainer is, but mine is a very special lady and her name is Roberta Saum, without her I would not be here.
- What makes me the most happy? I am so happy that I can wear beautiful clothes and they make me feel sexy about myself, because it fits and it is a small size. I can finally say to myself “you look good baby”.
- How did this effect the relationships with people in my life? The behavior of the people all around you changes. I have more haters and mostly it is women, but I know they are struggling with their own weight too. They think my life is perfect, but it is far from it. I am honest whoever ask me about my weight loss, I try to be nice and give complements even if I don’t get them anymore! I give compliments to the guys to and it’s fun to feel like an eye candy at the gym, lol, and that is fine with me. I love the attention.
- What did I change for lifestyle? I live a healthier life style now. I still drink a glass of beer everyday with my meal now, but it is usually before 5pm. I don’t eat carbs late in the afternoon anymore.
- What is my last piece of advice? The most important thing is you need to find a role model, that is fit and lean and has been there and done that. It can be anybody, your trainer or someone on Facebook who you can talk to and answer all your questions. Never compare yourself with this person, but make the most of it. Never give up when you ate junk food the day before, forgive yourself and start over. You are not going get fat overnight, trust me. It takes years to get fat. Take pictures even if you don’t want to. You will see the difference after one month even when the scale wont budge. I tell you what, throw out the scale! The scale is so discouraging, even now for me. It makes me I feel like I wanna give up. Search fitness for models on line, that is my motivation. It doesn’t matter how hard you workout everyday, but to lose the extra fat you need to do the calorie deficit. I did all my Venus workout 3 times a week and I just hired a personal trainer to set up a new program. My new trainer is showing me the body language. how to work your muscles and find better to find my balance. Who knows, I might do a fitness show. Imagine that at age 55! I can live my dreams, but I will always need my Venus sisters to get my motivation and give all the help they ask me!!
Thank you for having me, love you all and remember we can do it!! WE ARE PROOF!!